Friday, June 10, 2011

Fresh Beet Salad

      I  love salads!!!   Hot, room temp, cold, veggie, pasta, main dish,  side, seafood salads are all fantastic additions to any meal or a meal in themselves. I have been re-evaluating my diet lately.  I realized that at one time in my life I gravitated towards salads.  They were the first things I was allowed to create in my mother's kitchen and my dad claimed I never made the same salad twice.  I have decided to go back to the way I used to eat.  I think this is a good time in my life to come back around to this way of eating.  With this in mind, I am going to record some of my favorite salads   The first one has morphed into the one I will share today.  The original used lemon and oil as a dressing.  It is still delicious but I like this one ever so much more. See what you think.  This recipe makes 4 servings with a little leftover for lunch the next day.
   
6 beets the size of baseballs ( Save the tops)
juice of 1 large lime (not key lime) 1/4 cup more or less
1 can of corn no salt  (fresh is better but I didn't have any)
1 cup Greek yogurt
3 green onions sliced on the diagonal green and white parts
1/4 of parsley coarsely chopped.
s/p to taste

1. Wash and  put beets w/o the tops into a pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Boil for about 5-7  min. Sharp knife should be able to pierce through the beet.
2.  Cool.  Then peel skin.  The skin should just rub off.  If it doesn't it really doesn't matter if it doesn't more fiber!
3.   Cut the beets into cubes.  (In half then halves into 1/3 and then cut into cubes.)
4.   In another bowl mix the yogurt and the lime.  Pour over the beets and mix.
5.  Add corn, onions and parsley.
6.  Taste and add salt and pepper.
7.  You can chop up the beet greens and add to the salad.   This is an individual preference.  I love beet greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment