Friday, March 25, 2011

Not Momma's Tuna Casserole

     Oh my!  I did it tonight.   I actual do this often.  I just open the fridge and the pantry and forage.  Must be the hunter gatherer in me.  I created a great tuna casserole.  This is not an easy feat. This has never been my favorite meal until tonight.  I do remember my mom's tuna casserole being somewhat dry and having potato chips on the top.  A few months ago we had some tuna casserole at a friend's house where each of us was supposed to bring a 50's dish.  I did not like the tuna casserole that night either.  I was sure that there was a recipe out there somewhere that would make this Lenten mainstay delicious.  I really think that I found it.

    It's a Friday in Lent and I had bought a butt load of tuna from Costco.  So I decided that would be the main dish.  I had celery, 1/2 of a purple onion and fresh mushrooms.  In the pantry I had a can of artichokes packed  in water and the canned albacore also packed in water.  (I'm not sure about the dolphins.)  What to do, what to do?  What follows was pure angelic inspiration.  I have often said I cook with my angels.  No joke.   Oh ...and this is NOT figure friendly...read lots of different fats going on.   I thought of a thousand ways to make this easier and less calorie dense and some day I'll post those.  But today I'll post this delightful concoction. Ready?   Here we go!!!


2 TBSP.  butter 
1TBSP.  olive oil
1 small cauliflower in smallish flowerlets

1/2 of a large purple onion diced
3 stalks of celery diced
1 8oz box of button (white) mushrooms sliced
1/2 red bell pepper
1 can of artichokes packed in water drained and cut into quarters
2 cloves of garlic finely minced or grated
2 small cans of tuna
1 lb of ANY pasta (I used a little cap like pasta.  I forget the name.)
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. thyme  (If you use dry double the amount of the herb.)
1/4 tsp fresh oregano  (If dry double.)
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg  (If dry double.)
1/4 cup of white flour & TBSP of butter
2 cups of milk
 2 cups of sharp grated cheddar cheese
1/4 seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley  &  a small jar of  pimento pepper for garnish

Preheat oven to 350.
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
1. In a large skillet you are going to saute the cauliflower flowerlets in the hot fat until a little browned.
2. Add the rest of the veggies except the artichoke  and cook until softened but still with a little bite.
3.  Add the artichoke, tuna  and garlic to the skillet.  Lower heat.
4.  Add herbs to skillet.  
5.   Add pasta to boiling water.
6.  Add about 2 TBSP.  of salt and the bay leaves to the pasta and water.  Cook according to pasta direction.
7.  Move the veggies to the  sides of the skillet and add the flower and the  butter to the center.  Stir with a whisk until butter is incorporated into the flour.  You are making a rue.
8. Slowly, while still whisking, pour in the milk.  Flour will thicken.
9.  Add cheese and slowly stir with a large spoon.
10.  Drain pasta when al dente.
11.  In a buttered casserole dish put down a layer of pasta with a slotted spoon.
12. Scoop out the tuna sauce and distribute over the top of the pasta.
13.  One more layer of pasta and 1 layer of sauce.
14.  Sprinkle on the bread crumbs.
15.  Garnish and bake for 20 minutes.
I also added some fresh parsley and some chives before I served this.  I served this with a spinach salad with feta, tomatoes and green onion. I made  a rice vinegar dressing.  


Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment