Thursday, March 24, 2011

Super Simple Supper

     There are days that I can not get inspired at all. Or, when I know that  I won't feel like cooking because I will have been out all day.   However, I still like something that tastes delicious.  Enter the crock pot.  The following recipe has been made over the years with many different ingredients.  But the simplest is the one you will find today.  This is good enough to serve to company.  Oh, and it's so cheap to make.  If you have issues with MSG, look at the seasoning in the taco mix.  I could and have made my own mix but in  this recipe you don't have to measure anything.  If you are feeling guilty about the lack of veggies, by all means throw in some carrots and celery. You can also use an envelop of onion soup mix or veggie dip mix.  I have used them with equal success.   This is really a no brainer recipe and is sooooo delicious.  Meat is usually fork tender and shreds if that's the way you're going. The meat does have to come in contact with the bottom of the crock pot.  In other words, the entire bottom surface of the meat must touch the bottom of the crock pot.
     Incidentally, I do make my own spice mixtures.  If you ever want me to make you some for a specific food you are making, for a small fee and s/h, I'd be happy to make you up a seasoning mix. Most herbs will be from my garden. I don't use insecticides.  I dry the herbs in the microwave including the chile.  Contact me at zpeck@cox.net.


chuck roast (When money is really an issue ...wait for a sale and then buy the smallest piece)
1 baseball sized onion cut into large chunklets
3 bay leaves
1 envelope of taco mix (Doesn't matter the brand. If you make a piece of meat that is really big like say 5 lbs. use two envelopes of seasoning)
1 bottle of beer (again doesn't matter the kind) OR equal amount of any red wine. (Don't open a new bottle of wine.  Use leftover wine that you forgot to cork.)



1.  You don't have to sear the meat.  Just dump it into a crock pot.
2. Sprinkle it with the 1/2 of the contents of the envelope, then flip the meat over and sprinkle the rest of the seasoning.
3. Dump in the other ingredients.  (Pour the beer or  wine along the sides of the pot.)
4.  Put crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

Serve with veggies on the side or a green salad.  I usually have tortillas but this is equally as good with bread. You can shred the meat and make tacos or cut in chunks and serve that way.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment