Sunday, December 12, 2010

Coq de vin

Trevor, my youngest, is taking his last class to receive his BA.  It's a French class. He had to make a "French" dish.  We decided on this very traditional dish.  My very good friend Mitzi, who is part French, sent us an updated more "modern" recipe for this very authentic dish.  Very yummy.


Mitzi Lilleeng December 7 at 2:47pm Report
ingredients:

chicken - 3 to 2 1/2 pounds cut up (I use thighs and breasts, )

1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 t pepper - mix and coat chicken pieces.  I added 1/2 tsp. paprika and a dash of cayenne pepper.

Fry bacon (6 - mainly for the grease...)
remove bacon from pan

3/4 c of small whole onions (I use frozen)
3 cups sliced mushrooms. I used wild mushrooms.
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup dry red wine  I used 2 cups of Burgundy.
1/2 tsp salt
4 medium carrots cut into two inch pieces
1 clove garlic chopped.  I used 3 cloves minced.

bouquet garni: 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves, 2 large sprigs fresh parsley, 1 bay leaf (I use a tea ball but you can tie into cheese cloth) I added a small 1 inch piece of rosemary.

Directions:

Cook chicken in bacon fat over medium heat -- until brown on all sides

Move chicken to the side and add onions, mushrooms. Cook stirring until mushrooms are tender.

Drain fat from skillet (I usually don't do this)

Crumble up the bacon, add it and the rest of the ingredients to the pot.

Heat to boiling.  (Because I had to stall for Trevor and Zach to get home, I put the dutch oven in the oven at 325 for about 1 hour.)

Cover and simmer a bout 35 to 40 minutes until chicken is no longer pink.

Remove the garni packet before serving.

I usually serve with mashed potatoes or broad noodles, but you can eat this without that.

No comments:

Post a Comment