Monday, December 13, 2010

Grandma Ruth's Pea Salad

     As I was cleaning yet another bookcase, I happened upon a copy of a recipe that was in my mother-in-law's handwriting.  I believe my sister-in-law Barb made these up for us one Christmas.  What a thoughtful gift! My mother-in -law was a wonderful woman and fantastic cook.  I was her only "daughter-in-law" because she only had 1 son so I always felt a little special.  Thing is, she made everybody feel special. I have tried to pattern myself as a "mother-in-law" after her great example.  I hope I have come close.
      I remember this salad fondly. I made it my own by adding to the original recipe. I believe I kept the integrity of the  original recipe. When I am teaching my little cooking class, I often tell my ladies to "make it  their own" once the have the basic recipe down by adding according to their tastes. Knowing Ruth, she would have been very pleased with my additions.
     A little trick I learned from my mom.  Often recipes do not have amounts for the salt and pepper.  At one time my mom and my dad owned a restaurant.  That was a disaster but not because of the food.  Anyway, she taught me to *lightly sprinkle the surface with salt.  Stir then taste.  Same with the pepper. Lightly sprinkle across the surface and then stir to blend, then taste.  Now you can adjust by adding more.  Better to have a "light" hand than to ruin a good dish by adding too much salt or pepper!!!
     I made the Pea Salad  last night and it was a blast to the past!  So in memory of Grandma Ruth, here it is for all to enjoy.


1 box of frozen  peas   I used a bag of frozen petite  peas.
6 slices of bacon
1 cup of cashews
1/2 cup of sliced thin white onions      I used the frozen pearl onions and it was more like 1 cup.
1 heaping TBSP  sour cream     I used lite.
1 heaping TBSP plain yogurt    This was not in the original recipe.
1 tsp. of lite mayo    This was not in the original recipe.
a scant tsp. of lime juice   Also not in the original.
1 sprig of green onion chopped
1 small handful of parsley coarsely chopped.           Not in the original.
I also added about a TBSP of some diced jarred pimientos on the top for color.    Not in the original.
*s/p to taste

Fry the bacon until very crisp.  Crumble.
Put the peas and cashews in a bowl.
In another bowl make the dressing by combining the sour cream, yogurt, mayo and lime juice.
Fold the dressing  into the peas and cashews.
Sprinkle the top with the bacon and the green onions.  Fold gently.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment