Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crystal Light Salad Dressing

     This may be the most interesting use of Crystal Light beverage mix that you will every read or taste.  You can skip right to the recipe or read how it came about.
     I was in South Carolina and my son Jason asked me to help him with a carne asada dinner to which he wanted to invite some friends.  I get weary of always being asked to make carne asada but I continue to comply  because it goes over so well.
     I had made the black beans, the Mexican  rice and had marinated the meat.  I decided that we needed a salad.  My son did not have any lemons and I like to make my "chopped salad" with a lemon lime dressing.  I was making myself some crystal light and I wondered what would happen if I used the little packet in the dressing.  What follows is the recipe I concocted.  I was surprised by the rave reviews and everyone was stymied when I told them the ingredients of the dressing.  If you don't know ahead of time I promise you can't guess the secret ingredient.   By the way...I have come to appreciate that "southerners"  like their sweets.  This salad dressing is  sweet and tangy.  I am thinkin' I may try to marinate chicken and or fish in this stuff.  I hope you too will agree that it is a keeper.

This salad serves 12 generous portions.

2 heads of lettuce washed, torn and spun ( I used romaine and a very  large red leaf.)
1 small bag or about 4 cups of arugala
2 stalks of celery diced
2 large carrots diced
2 cups of diced broccoli florets
1 pint grape tomatoes washed and cut in half
2 green onions finely diced
a handful of cilantro leaves pulled off the stem

the juice of two large limes (not key limes) roughly about 1/4 cup
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1 generous TBSP of grainy mustard
1 packet of crystal light lemon aide
1 grated garlic clove
1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 TBSP of cilantro that has been finely diced
1/2 cup of olive oil
add chicken broth if dressing is too acidic by the TBSPS
s/p to taste    Freshly ground pepper and Kosher salt are best.
I ended up with about 1 cup of salad dressing.


1. Toss all of the veggies into a large salad bowl.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk  or in a  large jar with a lid mix all of the ingredients except the chicken broth. I like the jar because you can shake it and really incorporate the ingredients.
3. Taste the dressing, if  the dressing is too acidic add chicken broth by the TBSPS.
4.  Pour the dressing once around the edge of the salad bowl and toss. Taste and add more dressing  if necessary.  There should be a little left after the first go around the bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment