Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Devilish Deviled Eggs

     One of my mom's "go-to appetizers" was her Family Favorite  Deviled Eggs.  My mom really didn't do appetizers. She liked to cook the main dish and the sides.  The rest she left up to others to contribute. Truth be known, she hated eggs herself and rarely ate them.  (Like one of her grand daughters.)  I recently had a niece ask for my mom's recipe for deviled eggs.  My kids ALWAYS requested that she bring some to any party I had.  The recipe that follows is sooooo easy and sinfully good.  I deconstructed every kind of egg you could think of and made some "fashionable" deviled eggs for a little get together with some very close friends.  But, I have to admit, although my fancy ones were good, the originals were still very good.  I will post those fancy deviled eggs someday because they were good and well received.
     My mom's deviled eggs went through a few morphs.  I remember when she used to put sweet pickle relish in them.  My 2 oldest kids asked her not to anymore and she stopped. I also remember her adding chopped jalapenos and or bacon bits to them at different times.  But her plain simple deviled eggs became her hallmark. She did have a secret ingredient.  She finally told me a couple of years before she passed.
     So...this one's for you Kelly.

Hard Boiled Eggs

6 large eggs
2 TBSP full fat mayo
1 tsp. plain yellow prepared mustard
1 tsp dill pickle juice right from the jar
S/P to taste (about 1 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper)

Garnish
1 TBSP finely chopped parsley
a sprinkle of paprika for each egg once filled



To boil eggs
1)  Place 6 eggs in a single layer in the bottom of a pot and add enough water to cover by at least an inch.
2)  Bring to a hard fast boil and boil for 5 min.
3) Turn off heat and let stand for at least 15 min.
4)  Drain and fill pan with ice and enough water to cover the eggs for another 15 min.
5)  Drain.  Shake the eggs in the pan to loosen the shell. Peel the eggs. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Yolk mixture
6)  Cut eggs in half the long way.
7)  Scoop out the yolk. Put yolk in a bowl and mash with a fork.
8)  Add mayo. Stir.
9)  Add  prepared plain old yellow mustard.  Stir.
10)  Add secret ingredient... dill pickle juice.
11)  Fill each egg with about 1 heaping tsp. of mixture or use a pastry bag and pipe it in the egg.
12)  Sprinkle each egg with  parsley for garnish.
13) Sprinkle each egg with paprika for color on each individual egg.


That's it.  So simple and so good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment