Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Okra Pasta Stew

     I would be very remiss if I didn't begin by saying upfront that I have not always been a fan of okra.  Especially because I had never eaten it until maybe 6 years ago in my first ever gumbo.  Okra reminds me of nopales.  The taste and texture are different but both have a similar viscosity. I believe I have written about this before.  In the little Middle Eastern store I frequent I noticed a bag of frozen baby okra.  On the back of the package I saw a recipe for "okra stew."  ( I have found many really tasty recipes this way.)   Never happy to leave well enough alone I made this recipe my own adapting it to placate my palate preferences.  I made this more like a casserole by adding vegetable pasta.  I particularly like this recipe because most of the ingredients were from things I keep in my pantry, refrigerator or in my freezer.
     I have taken to making my own spice mixes for the different ethnic foods I cook.  If ever you want to make things go more quickly make up you "ethnic spice" and herb mix and put in one of those little glass jars. That way they are ready when you are.


1 generous TBSP of grapeseed oil
1  medium onion diced
2 celery stalks diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
4 oz of sliced mushrooms  (1/2 of a basket)
1 red pepper diced
1 pound of ground chicken, turkey or lamb
1 can of diced tomatoes
3 cups of chicken (or veggie) broth
1/2 lb vegetable pasta spirals
1 bag of frozen baby okra
1 tsp. summac
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. crushed dried oregano
1 tsp. chili powder
2 tsps. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried sage

Garnish
1/2 cup feta cheese
TBSP of parsley
2 green onion finely sliced on the diagonal

1.   Bring a large pot of water to boil and preheat oven to 350.
2.   Heat oil and cook onions, garlic and celery until soft and onion is "see through."
3.  Add mushrooms and red pepper. Cook until just limp.
4.  Spray a baking dish with oil.  Toss all the cooked veggies in.  Set aside.
5.  Brown the meat.  Season with salt and pepper.
6.  Add the can of tomatoes (no salt added) and the broth (low sodium).  Stir until mixture comes to a boil.
7.  Pour the above into the baking dish with veggies and stir.
8.  Put pasta into boiling water.  Throw in a palm full of salt.  Cook 2 min. short of package directions.
9.  Throw the okra in with the pasta and cook for a couple of minutes.  Drain.
10.  Put the pasta into the baking dish.  Stir until all is combined.
11.  Into a small bowl mix all the seasonings until combined.  Sprinkle the seasoning into the baking dish.  Toss to combine.
12.  At this point the mixture should be a little wet.  If not wet enough  add a little more broth. Think stew.
13.  Bake for 20 minutes.
 Serve this in a shallow bowl.   Top with feta, parsley and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment