Friday, April 22, 2011

Salmon with Wild Berry Sauce

    Way back when I started this Blog it was because Trevor, my youngest, thought somebody out there would appreciate someone who uses what's on hand to make a tasty meal.  Trevor has just reminded me again that I make a lot of different sauces.  I do.  Today I was cleaning the fridge and found a jar of Wild Berry Jelly.   There was about 1/4 of a cup of the stuff.  So I decided to do something with it.  I also found a bottle of Kendal Jackson Chardonay that had about 1/2 cup of wine.  (Mr.  Jackson died today.  Trev knew his daughter at Davis.) I picked about a cup of parsley from the garden and some mint (it's going crazy right about now.) I snipped a few sprigs of thyme, sage and oregano. I had about a dozen or so grape tomatoes and some sorry lookin' green onions. I also used some Chinese garlic chili sauce.  I know that most of you who don't know me will not believe that I 1) didn't use a recipe and 2) just pull stuff out of thin air.  (I have a theory that I have Kitchen Angels that do speak to me as I cook.  Please don't institutionalize me for saying this.They say things like; "How about a little mint...No more garlic...Easy on the wine girl!"  Could also be my deceased mom.) Anyway, many, many of my choices are serendipidous.(sp?)  This recipe just happened and it, like so many other things that I just make up  was really really good!!!!  I made some oven roasted grape tomatoes and green onions. (salt/pepper and toss w/evoo @450 for about 20 min.) Heaped that on top of the salmon and then the garnish.  I also served this with little red potatoes and a tossed salad.  Heaven on a dish. Promise.


4 frozen pieces of frozen salmon (thawed)
s/p both sides

4 TBSP of grapeseed oil or veggie oil to coat the bottom of a cast iron skillet or large frying pan


Sauce
1/4  berry jelly (or jam)  Honestly, I think it could be any  berry jelly or jam.
1/2 cup of white wine or use chicken broth
a splash of rice vinegar (maybe a TBSP)
1/4 cup of mint, parsley and sage chop very fine (any combo) (save some to garnish fish.)
1/4 cup of chopped green onion
1 heaping tsp of red pepper flakes
2 heaping tsp. of Chinese chili garlic sauce


1.  Heat skillet to screaming hot. Almost smokin'.
2. Salt and pepper salmon.
3.  In a bowl whisk  or in the jelly jar add all of the ingredients and shake until well combined.
4. Place salmon in pan on high and cook for 2 min. on each side.
5.  Reduce heat and pour sauce over salmon. Cover with a lid.
6.  Cook for an additional 3 or 4 minutes.
7. Serve and garnish with herbs that you saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment