Thursday, October 4, 2012

Amazing Thighs

     I am sorry that I have been away so long.  Lots happening in my life.  I have become very busy. Retirement is a different mindset that has taken time to get me to wrap my head around it.  Still working on it.
    This past week I have had 3 different people ask me to post some recipes.  So I started my Blog again. These requests have come from busy woman who want to make meals a gift to their families.  No more microwave processed dinners. No more drive thru meals. Healthy, simple, delicious meals made at home.   In the next few days I will also include a list of what a well stocked pantry, freezer, and refrigerator should have. To begin, you could add an item or two of something you do not usually buy. I promise these items will make your meals fabulous. I also highly recommend you start a little herb garden.  Basics; cilantro, parsley, thyme, mint, rosemary, oregano and basil.  However, basil is a pain as is cilantro.
      Most of these will be very easy meals with few ingredients and simple prep and cooking time. I will add sides that I have made with this main dish. However, sometimes I will post more complex meals or ideas on how to make the Super Simple Suppers with more ingredients. Ingredients with * are what I consider the 5 main ingredients. I will post pictures if I am making this dish.  Tonight I am actually making a pasta dish.  We haven't had pasta for a long time. I'll post that with a picture tomorrow if I remember how to upload the pictures.

Amazing Thighs

Ingredients
1 TBSP EVOO for your pan or spray with PAM (I actually like Grapeseed oil for cooking and EVOO for no heat applications)
*6 boneless skinless thighs (pound between wax paper using a heavy sauce pan)
*1 cup flour in a plastic bag with salt, pepper, dried thyme and garlic powder (1 tsp salt  about 1/2 tsp. pepper 1/2 tsp thyme 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
*1 carton or bag of mushrooms (as many as you can afford, slice to make it more affordable)
*1 baseball sized onion sliced thinly
1 TBSP butter
*1+ cup of apple juice or Marsala wine (or any other sweet wine) 
PANTRY FUN INGREDIENT: GARNISH WITH CAPERS


1. Prepare your plastic bag with flour and herbs. 
2. Oil and heat your pan.
3. Put  1/2 of your chicken pieces in the bag and shake gently until completely covered. Place in the pan. Do the other half  of the chicken and place in the pan.  
4. Cook chicken for about 4 min. on each side.  (You are looking for a little brown.)
5. Take your chicken out of the pan and set aside for a few minutes.
6. Add the butter to the pan. Add the onion and mushrooms.  Cook until the onion is translucent and mushrooms are soft. (From what I have read, the body actually knows what to do with butter and it adds so much flavor but use whatever you are comfortable with.)
TASTE SAUCE AND ADD SALT AND OR PEPPER
7.  Add the  apple juice. Stir all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  Add your chicken.Add a TBSP of apple juice at a time to the sauce to loosen it up if it needs that.  Make sure to put the sauce, mushrooms and onions on top of the chicken when you serve it.
                                                                 SIDES
A plate of sliced tomatoes with a little lime juice, salt and pepper would go really well with this dish garnished with scallions and parsley. Steamed green beans are nice with this dish too. (Fresh are great but use those steamer bags. Very good too.) Personally, I would  also love this with some garlic mashed potatoes. Bring a couple of scrubbed  cubed potatoes (skins on)  and water to a boil. I put a bay leaf in the water and about two cloves of garlic per potato.  Cook for about 10-12 minutes. Take off heat and start to mash to the consistency you like.  I like lumpy.  Add enough chicken broth to loosen the potatoes if needed. You won't really need butter or milk. Taste and add salt and pepper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment