Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Cake No Sugar, No Eggs No oil No Fooling Cake



     This is by far the most amazing feat of substitutions that I have ever accomplished! The original recipe was pretty healthy but I think I kicked it way out of the park.  I do not like buying boxed cake mixes because I find that they are TOO SWEET!  But my family LIKES dessert once in a great while. So this Sunday, in my traditional fashion of not letting leftovers go to waste, I got on line and found a recipe that used some pumpkin puree. I had made a pretty delicious pumpkin, butternut squash and carrot puree the week before which froze beautifully.  I am sure that you could use just pumpkin puree. So that is where the substitutions began. I will list the original ingredients and then my substitutions in bold. I am not a baker and I really do not have a lot of experience baking.  Those with more experience, I am sure, could fiddle with this recipe and give me some pointers.  The cake was very light and almost "fluffy" as my daughter said.  It was plenty sweet. I would LOVE feedback!


Ingredients
1 cup ground old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour           1 1/4 cup cake flour, 1/4 cup ground flax seeds and  1/4 cup ground walnuts
1/4 golden raisins         I did not use raisins.
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cup butter               1/4 cups applesauce
2 eggs                          1 cup puree mixture
1 1/2 cups sugar           2/3 cups agave nectar


1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Grease and flour a cake pan.
3.  Put the ground oats,  cake flour,  the ground flax seed and ground walnuts into a mixer. Mix.
4. In a small bowl  mix all the spices and incorporate into the dry flour.
5. Mix the applesauce, the puree and the agave in  the same small bowl and stir to incorporate.Pour into dry ingredients and mix on low for 30 sec. and on medium for 2 minutes.At this point I tried to remember what a cake batter looked like.  I would have added more wet stuff /puree if too dry and more flour if too wet. But it looked about right to me.
6. Pour into the bundt pan and bake for 40-45 min.
7. Cool on a rack until completely cool.
8. Frost and sprinkle with apple and nut mixture.

Cream Cheese Frosting (Totally made this up. )
Ingredients
8 oz. of low fat cream cheese at room temp.
1/4 cup agave syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 of an apple grated
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. Put cream cheese, agave syrup and vanilla into a bowl.ingredients into a  small mixing bowl and beat on low for a couple minutes.
2. Add a little more agave if frosting is too stiff or refrigerate if too wet.
3. Frost cooled cake.
4.. Sprinkle walnut and apple mixture on frosted cake.





No comments:

Post a Comment