Thursday, May 19, 2011

Green Pork Mole

     I love mole.  (I wish I knew how to get the accent mark over the e.)  Usually the mole our family eats and prefers  is red and from scratch...... very labor intensive.  I have made red mole from scratch only 3 times.  I had helped my mom several times. Using a jar of prepared mole I have made this dish many many times.  I had never made green mole myself.  I know my mom had never made it either.  I ate it on several occasions in Mexico as a youngster.  I loved it!!!  I have eaten it in the states maybe a couple of times.  But this unique dish has haunted me.  I thought I could use what I know about making the red mole and just make it green and using my memory I could come close with the flavor.
     The reason I decided on green mole instead of the red is that my daughter just had a baby and is breast feeding.  Like all new moms and all newborns there appears to be a period of adjustment in regards to what my daughter can eat that doesn't offend the breast fed neophite. My daughter was sure the baby was reacting to spicy food so she has cut back on this type of food.  My cousin and her husband were coming over for dinner and to see the baby.  Trevor's friend had come to visit too.  So a special  meal was in order. I was going to be babysitting the baby who indeed was having a fussy day. The idea of green mole popped into my head.  I knew I could control the heat because the green doesn't come from the chile.  Whereas in the red, the red sauce is dependent on the chilies used.  Also, I knew that although there were lots of ingredients,  the cooking would not really require my attention.
     I have not included the pork recipe but it is the easiest part.  3 lbs country style pork ribs.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder, 1 cup of Balsamic vinegar and 1 cup of water or broth. Bake uncovered @ 250 for 5 hours. Turn halfway through cooking time.
    My memory went into overdrive as I tried to figure out the best "green" stuff to use.  I think you will be surprised at some of the ingredients I came up with. I did google green mole and I did get a handful of hits.  I looked them over and was surprised how close my tastebud memory had come. So...enjoy this green mole and it's okay to think and or say..."Wow, that's weird!"   This recipe serves 8 generous portions with sauce leftover.  Tomorrow I can pour the sauce over chicken.


Sauce
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup toasted almonds
2 TBSP toasted sesame seeds
6 cups chicken broth divided
2tsp oil
8 cloves of garlic finely minced
2 yellow med. onions
1 bunch of kale chopped or green part of swiss chard
1 TBSP allspice berries
1/2 tsp. toasted cumin seeds
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 bunch of parsley chopped  (no stems)
4 cups romaine lettuce green part not the rib diced  Save the ribs and lighter greens for a salad.
3 roasted, peeled and diced poblano chiles (No seeds, ribs or stems)
1/2 bunch washed chopped  cilantro


1. Begin by toasting the seeds and nuts.  In a cast iron pan or other heavy duty pan pour seeds or nuts to brown over a moderate heat. No oil just a dry pan.  This part will need your undivided attention.
2. Cool them on a baking sheet as you toast the next seed and then pour all of them into a food processor.  Add enough broth to get the blades going.  About 2 cups at first. Process for a minute or 2.  Add another cup of broth and blend until smooth like chunky peanut butter. Set aside.
3. In a pot brown the onion, garlic and swiss chard or kale in about 2 tsp. of oil.
4. Toast the allspice and cumin seeds and grind with a mortar then add to the pot with the onions and garlic.   Add oregano. Stir until fragrant.
5.  Add the seeds and nut mixture into the pot with the onions and garlic and stir in about 1 cup of broth.  Simmer.
6. Add the parsley, lettuce, chilies and cilantro to the food processor with 1 cup of broth.. Blend until smooth.  This is the most beautiful green I have every seen.
7.  Add this to the seed and nut mixture.  Stir and continue to simmer on very low heat for about 15 minutes.
8.  Cool the seeds nut mixture and then in small batches put in the food processor 1 last time. Reheat for about 15 minutes.
9.  Pour sauce over the pork and serve with tortillas.  I made rice and put the pork on the rice and the sauce on top. Garnish with cilantro.

TO MAKE THIS SAUCE HOTTER ROAST 2 JALAPENOS OR 2 SERRANOS OR BOTH. ADD WHEN YOU PROCESS THE LETTUCE.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment