Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hurry Up Chicken

     I was rather late getting home from being with Nessa and our new baby girl.  I had NOT thawed anything out for dinner and had already used a canned food yesterday   (Don't like to do that too often.)  Trevor doesn't eat pasta very often and I didn't have very much in the way of fresh produce.  A problem I have encountered before. Truth be known...many times. I really have to go to the grocery store today. I can't wait for the Farmers' Market this Sunday!  What could I do?
     What I did have was frozen chicken breasts, frozen broccoli, onions and garlic a plenty.  Lately, I have been adding vinegar to the mustard bottles that just have a little left in the bottom of the bottles or jars.  I add different vinegars to those different mustards and find that when you add oil and some herbs, one has the beginning of a delicious salad dressing.  I also have a pretty good herb garden.  I planted rosemary when we first moved into the house as a hedge and it is now 4 feet tall.  In the spring the tender branches smell amazing when you brush against them.  I have plenty of different kinds of thyme.  None is doing great but I always have plenty. I thought that maybe these vinegars could become a sauce with a little help.
     I hate dry chicken and I know through experience (not through any kind of training) that cooking chicken on too high a heat (except when you fry it) or for too long chicken will rebel and taste awful and chew like jerky. So especially starting with frozen chicken all previous methods of cooking chicken, which take too long, were not desired.  Ones needs to be vigilant and tricky, so one can fool the chicken into thinking it's being handled correctly.
      I have set up the origins of this meal. My "Hurry Up Chicken" was actually similar to other chicken recipes I have made with the exception of the chicken not being frozen My kitchen angels were working over time last night because I didn't really have a firm grip on what I was going to make.  I am sure someone trained in the fine art of cooking would cringe and find fault with everything I did.  But I have to tell you, it tasted very good and met my expectations. I served this with rice which cooked while I made the chicken. and a very green salad.  (I had no other veggies but romaine, celery and 1 cucumber.)

Word of Caution...Just to be sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked, cut down the center of the fattest breast.  If the liquid has any pink...KEEP COOKING.  If the liquid runs clear.  It's okay.  If there is no liquid at all...oopps.  It's edible but will be dry.  I'd cut it up and mix it with the sauce and serve it that way over the broccoli and rice  And always...if you don't have fresh herbs use dried herbs but 1/2 as much.

                  The Chicken
2 TBSP of grapeseed or another vegetable oil to coat the skillet
5 frozen skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 med. white onion sliced in rings
5 cloves of garlic mashed with the side of a knife but kept whole
1/4 of my vinegar mustard...see above ( Maybe 1 tsp whole grain mustard added to apple cider vinegar.  I am sure any vinegar would do just as well as would any other mustard.)
1/4cup of  honey
2 TBSP finely minced fresh rosemary
1/2  tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 cup hot water with chicken broth cube  Mix well to dissolve cube.
1 small jar of artichokes
pepper  You won't need much salt because of the chicken cube.
sprigs of rosemary for garnish (optional)
1 pkg. frozen broccoli


1.  I put the frozen chicken into a cast iron skillet at a med high heat in which I had poured 2 TBSP of olive oil first and covered them with a lid.  No liquid just the frozen chicken.  (About 5 min.)
2. As I thought, the moisture from the chicken itself began to create a vapor.  At that point I added the onions and garlic.  Covered the pan again.  (Another 5 min.)
3. I mixed the next 4 ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and cooked in the microwave for 1 minute.
4.  I poured this onto the chicken  and covered the chicken breasts. (About 5 more minutes.)
5.  I waited for the pan to be just a little drier and flipped the chicken to the other side.  That side had a nice caramel color.  (I checked  one breast by lifting the corner to see if it was getting some color.) 5 min. or so
6.  At this point I added the chicken broth and the artichokes.
7.  I reduced the heat and simmered the chicken the rest of the way with out the lid.  This took about 7-10 minutes.That side should also begin to get a nice golden color.



Sauce
1 chicken broth cube in 1 cup of water
1/4 cup honey
1 TBSP  apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. whole grain mustard
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp. fresh rosemary finely chopped
s/p

8.   Place all of the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Stir.  Put into the microwave for about 1 minute.
9.   Remove from the microwave and stir.
10.  Place in the microwave for an additional  30 sec. The sauce should be thicker than water more like a syrup. If not, put in microwave again for another 30 sec. Stir again and pour over chicken breasts in the pan. 11.  Simmer gently for about 3 minutes.

12.  Cook frozen broccoli using the pkg. directions in the microwave using broth instead of water.

13. Serve the chicken breasts and sauce over the broccoli.
14. Garnish with a sprig of rosemary.

Provecho!  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment