Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Lazy Dolmas

    I mean no offense by not  making traditional foods the traditional way.  I just don't always end up making things the traditional way.  If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I change things up.  It comes from getting an idea, looking for a recipe to check on times and then trying to make do with what I have.  Crazy, I know but it often works in my favor.  I end up creating pretty decent imitations of the foods I have tried to execute.
     So this recipe started out with all the right intentions.  I had eaten some dolmas at my favorite little "ethnic" store, North Park Produce.  A couple of days later I decided that I wanted to recreate them.  I had 2 lbs of ground lamb,  I knew that that would be the base because my family would not like a vegetarian choice.  I was clean out of grape leaves (hehe) so I went back to the store to buy some.  The cute little cashier recognized me and asked me what I was going to make for dinner that night. ( I have an ongoing conversation about trying to make different ethnic foods.) When I told her I was going to try make dolmas, she laughed and said, "Make it the lazy way, like me." So this recipe is NOT authentic except it came from a very real "ethnic" young lady.  I did look up a" real" dolmas recipe to see where hers differed.  I can see some differences but honestly, the ones I made where every bit as good as the ones I had eaten a few days prior.  I thought I had raisins and when I looked in the pantry, I couldn't find any. So  I used a little apricot jam.  (Sweet...???)
     Before I begin, I have come to appreciate that just about every culture I know wraps something in a leaf of some kind.  I find that interesting.  This recipe will remind you of making tamales.  The fold, tuck and roll are a bit different but the idea is the same.  The authentic dolmas are steamed like tamales too.  These were not.
    There is very little fat in this meal so one can feel righteous and eat a ton.  I made 40 of these little guys.  Not 1 was left!


Dolmas the Lazy Way
Preheat oven to 350

Prep the leaves.  I bought a jar.  I took out 2 bundles and put them one by one in a baking dish.  (You will have enough leaves left to make another batch.)  I poured hot tap water over them.  I let them sit for about 10 min. and I drained them  and did it again.  Then I laid out some paper towels and removed the leaves one at a time.  I pinched the stem off  from each leaf.  Some leaves are torn or will tear.  Don't discard these.  You will use them later.

GROUND LAMB FILLING
small amount of oil (TBSP?)
2lbs of ground lamb
1 small white onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely minced
6 oz of pine nuts
1/2 cup of risotto rice
1 med. sized tomato diced
1 tsp allspice

1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp dried oregano  crush it in your hand 

3 TBSP finely chopped mint
3 TBSP finely chopped dill
1/2 bunch of parsley finely chopped
1 TBSP apricot jam (You are supposed to use currants or raisins.)
2 cups of broth


1)  In a little bit of oil fry the onion and meat.
2)  Add the garlic and pine nuts.
3)  When the onion is limp, the meat is browned, add all the rest of the ingredients.  Stir until well combined.
4)  Cook  for 10 minutes with lid on using med. heat.  Rice will be half way done.
5)  Turn off heat and cool slightly.


TO FILL THE LEAVES
  In a baking dish spray some PAM or other spray and line with the torn or not so pretty grape leaves.
Lay the leaf, vein side up.  Stem side closest to you.  Put 1 heaping tsp of the filling in the center on that main vein going down the leaf about a thumb away from the stem end.  Fold that end up over the filling.  Now fold the right side in.  Now the left side in.  Continue to roll up.  Squeeze the dolma just a little in your hand. Place in the baking dish.

Liquid to pour over dolmas as they cook

2 cans of tomato sauce
Fill those cans up with broth or water
1 can of tomato paste
juice of 1 lemon  (I didn't have lemon so I used 2 limes)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper

1)  Pour all of the above in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
2)  Pour over the dolmas.
3)  Bake for 30 min.

2 comments:

  1. Do you recommend anything to substitute in for the pine nuts? They're so expensive these days!

    ReplyDelete