Monday, May 9, 2011

Scotch Eggs made with Salmon

     So today I will share what I am famous or infamous for.  I took leftovers from yesterday's Mothers' Day Dinner and completely morphed it into a different and interesting meal.  To recap, my son Trevor made a very good New York steak dinner with fancy sauces and trimmings up the wazoo!  We had no meat left and nothing thawed out so today for dinner  I  used some canned salmon.  This could have been done with leftover salmon.  Basically, I took the salmon and made a patty with it.  However, I put it around leftover deviled eggs and fried them and then added the  onions and mushrooms from yesterday.  OMG, very different and very yummy!
     A word or two about scotch eggs.  I had never in my whole life seen nor eaten this egg concoction until a Mexican friend of mine, who is married to a New Englander, brought them to a potluck.  I am NOT an expert on this recipe but it's basically a hardboiled egg that has been covered with a sausage and fried. Let's face it...it's fried and there is pork...what's not to love?  I rarely fry anything but sometimes it's just what works best.  You could try just baking these patties.  However, I think frying is just better in this case.  So using this idea and then incorporating yesterday's leftovers, I created a totally different recipe.

Leftovers
3  deviled eggs
chipotle mayo sauce
sauted onions and mushrooms

Salmon Patty
2 small tuna sized cans of pink salmon drained
1/4 of a white onion diced very fine
2 TBSP of finely minced parsley
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 eggs beaten
1tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp finely minced rosemary
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
eggs from above cut in half
s/p
garnish with parsley

1.  Flake the canned salmon in a bowl.
2.  Add all of the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Salmon should be able to be formed into a ball.
3.  Wrap the deviled egg in the salmon mixture.  Flatten into a patty shape.
4.  Heat a skillet with about 1/2 inch of veggie oil to just before smoking.
5.  Gently slide the patties into the skillet.
6.  Lower heat to med. high and fry for about 4  to 5 min. on each side.  Patties will be crispy brown but not burnt.
7.  Remove the patties from heat and keep warm.  Heat the onion mushrooms until they are warm.
8.  Place the onions and mushrooms on the salmon patties.
9.  To each patty with about a TBSP of room temperature chipotle mayo.

This made 6 palm sized patties.  My husband ate them on toasted bread with a slice of swiss cheese.  Me, I just ate them with the asparagus and pepper salad also leftover from yesterday.  Heaven.  Bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment