Saturday, May 28, 2011

Kinda Healthy Stuffed Zucchini

      I think stuffed zucchini is a "comfort food." My mom made them as did Zach's mom. I think they were pretty popular in the 70's.  My take is a nod to the  moms who influenced my cooking.  Of course, the recipe  is all mine in that I just let my kitchen angels guide me as I remembered the next step.  However, again I need to say that if it were not for my youngest child I would not be able replicate this recipe at a later date.  Now it is here for anyone who wants to duplicate it.
      I love to get an idea for a menu when I am at the store.   I was at my favorite little produce store  (North Park Produce) and saw the perfect stuffing zucchini;  long and straight with no blemishes.  I picked up 6.  They were each about the size of my hand from middle finger to wrist.  This menu tonight reminded me of Europe in particular France.  I am not sure why.  We did not eat anything I made tonight in any of the countries we visited.  But it just screams French Bistro or at least little eatery on a corner tucked away in some side street.  It is simple, filling,  not fancy and very comforting.
     I used a combo of ground meats because North Park Produce sells ground chicken, which I love and can't always find.  I used a fatter ground round with it. (80% fat)  2 to 1 ratio.  2 lbs ground beef and 1lb ground chicken. Having said that I made up the whole batch with all the ingredients.  I know later this will make a good meatloaf or hamburger patty or meatballs etc. I had plenty left over to freeze and make something else another day.  I think the 2 to 1 is just about perfect for this recipe.  I used parmesan cheese because they also sell wonderful cheeses at NPP.  But any hard cheese would work though.   The sauce I made is so embarrassingly simple I hesitate to disclose it but it is perfect in it's simplicity
      I served this with a spinach, mushroom and herb fritata and a spinach/ tomato salad that I dressed with a lime, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and EVOO.
     Be comforted and enjoy.


Ingredients
6 zucchini  (see above for size)
1 lb ground chicken
2 lbs ground beef
2 tsp ground garlic owder
3 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1 tsp crushed oregano
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp  rosemary finely chopped
1/4 cup diced parsley
1 cup of bread crumbs

1 cup of parmesan cheese

Sauce
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 large garlic clove
10 basil leaves

Garnish with basil and mint ribbons.

1.  Bring a big pot of water to a boil.  Carefully place zucchini in the water when it reaches a boil.
2.  Boil for about 10 min.  (Zucchini should be able to be easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.)
3.  Drain and let cool for a bout 5 min.
4.  Cut each zucchini in half the long way.  Turn cut side down on a paper towel.  Continue to cool.
5.  With a teaspoon starting from the stem side scoop out the flesh from stem to tip.  Be careful NOT to go through the skin. Save the fleshy stuff.  Put it on some paper towel or in a colander to drain.
6.  Turn cut side down again on the paper towels  while you make the filling

Filling
7.  In a large bowl, add all the ingredients except the zucchini.
8.  Mix with your hands gently until all ingredients are incorporated.
9.  Chop up the fleshy part of the zucchini that has drained and add it to the meat mixture.
10.  On a baking sheet lined with foil place the zucchini.
11.  Using a spoon fill each hollowed out part with the meat mixture.  DO NOT PACK but fill generously. 12.  Sprinkle with the cheese.


Sauce
13.  Place 1 can of stewed tomatoes and one 6 ounce can of tomato sauce with 10 basil leaves, 1 clove of garlic and the  green onion  into a blender.
14.  Pulse and pour onto the zucchini.
15.  Bake at 350 for about 20 min. to 30 min. or until meat is cooked.
16. Garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment